Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Word Nerd

Max claims I'm a word nerd. I stick my nose in a book and don't come out of it unless I have a comment to make. I recently finished the Hunger Games books (1 and 2= great!, 3= unsatisfied). If you've read the third book, you'll probably finish it having the same feelings... like the story was just cut off abruptly and all of the sudden Gale is in another district without a thought for Katniss.... That's just one random tidbit. With books 1 and 2, I couldn't put them down and mostly, I was wanting to read in my spare time to find out what's next! ( instead of watching t.v.)... With book 3, it took me a little longer than with 1 and 2 to actually finish the book. I wasn't really eager to know what happened in the story... I was still interested, but it wasn't the same intensity as with the previous books. Ah, anyway, they are entertaining and I still recommend the trilogy.


I also read The Last Child. That took me 4 days to finish. It was a mystery book, and had received the Edgar award. Intriguing. The story was dark, and a bit sad. Despite that, I found myself wanting to read more and more to find out what would happen! The book is about a young boy who lost his twin sister to an abduction. His family fell apart completely, turning to drugs, alcohol and despair (SAD!). The young boy, Johnny, is determined to find his sister, having a firm hope that she is still alive one year after the incident. The book takes you along his journey in finding out what happened and it takes you all sorts of places from discovery of other criminal activity and abuses, to betrayal of friendships. In the end, I felt a sense of relief (because as would be expected, Johnny does find out what happened with his sister)... I was probably relieved because I knew I wouldn't be reading the sadness and sense of loss from The Last Child. Unless you're in to that kind of story-line and mystery/suspense, I probably wouldn't recommend it... too sad, and it's got some profanity in it.



Now I'm reading Life As We Knew It. It's about the Moon getting struck by a meteor and it pushes it out of orbit causing natural disasters like tsunamis and earthquakes, severe storms and chaos. Fear that the world has come to an end, or soon will be. Rumors flying around like starvation, death, and the Moon will crash into the earth ending all life. I haven't gotten very far into the story, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Ok... I know what you're thinking... Life As We Knew It is kind of sad and dark in it's own way isn't it?! I promise I don't go LOOKING for SAD and DARK in the books I choose... I guess I'm just intrigued to see how the story will unfold. I like that it's not so predicable as to what could come of the story.

If you have any recommendations, share! Next on my list is the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (and the following books in that series...I hear they are page turners!)

4 comments:

  1. Ashley! I just came across your blog, while avoiding my homework and I'm really stoked you have a book post. I also read the Hunger Games, and the 3rd book was a totally let down. .it just wrapped everything up. And I didn't like how Katnis was pretty much "drugged out" through out the book and Gale is in a new district? ANYWAY. . I just wanted to say that you should read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. realllllyyyyy gooooooood book.
    -Rachel (Akinaka) Baird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel! A pleasant surprise seeing your comment, long time no see! Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard about that book from Alexis. She said it's pretty good too, better go to the library and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your Hunger Games comments. I had beeen waiting almost a year for the third book to come out, and it was totally dissapointing. Thanks for all your other reccommendations for books. I am looking for new books all the time, so I will have to check some of these out!
    -Meghan G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, disagreement here! I LOVED the third book in the Hunger Games! LOVED the entire series actually. LOVED the ending. Should I use "LOVED" one more time?

    I also love to read anything and everything and I am usually reading several books at a time. I am going to try the other ones you suggested, got any more?

    ReplyDelete