Sunday, October 10, 2010

President Boyd K. Packer Controversy

On Facebook I came across a group with the title of "WE LOVE YOU-President Boyd K. Packer." At first, I thought "did he pass away?" Upon further inspection, I came to find that it was a group about supporting President Packer's statement on homosexuality and same-sex marriage in his October 2010 General Conference talk. There were plenty of comments supporting President Packer and there were plenty of comments against President Packer claiming his "ignorance" and "stupidity." 


My mother explained that this controversy was even on the news. I had no idea. I had no idea that hate mail was sent to President Packer; that gay rights activists came protesting in front of the SLC temple because of this very talk. First of all, I was stunned by all the negative comments and criticisms against President Packer. I, in no way took offense to his address. In fact, I re-read his talk at LDS.org and still stand by my previous feelings about the talk. 


I went online to read more on the event. The Human Rights Campaign for LGBT's accused Packer for making dangerous statements regarding the immorality of same-sex attraction: 
"Packer’s inaccurate and dangerous rhetoric comes on the heels of the suicides of at least four teenagers over the past month, all victims of anti-gay bullying or harassment. An additional seven teens committed suicide in the past year in one Minnesota school district alone; three of the teens’ suicides were connected to anti-gay bullying."  


Let me pause right here. In fact, no where in President Packer's talk does it directly say or even imply that harassment and bullying of LGBT is acceptable. No where. The notion that the Human Rights Campaign (as well as many nonmembers) tie his statements to the hate, bullying or harassment and eventual suicides of LGBT's is out of line. I read a comment by someone who claimed that President Packer should have waited for another Conference session to address this issue. How blind is the world when they cannot see. "The guilty take the truth to be hard." There will never be a "better time" to address what God has inspired his prophets and apostles to share, even a topic as sensitive as this one. It is unfortunate the number of suicides that have occurred but that cannot detract from what the Lord what's us to hear now. And certainly, the message of this talk was never meant to hate those who have same-sex attraction. The Church has always been compassionate and kind to those with same-gender attraction, both inside and outside of membership. The Church released this statement:

“However, those familiar with the Church’s doctrine on the importance of marriage and family know it is based on principles of respect and love for all of God’s children. We have continually emphasized that there is no room in this discussion for hatred or mistreatment of anyone.”

I love how Deseret News puts this next part into words, following the previous statement made from the Church:
"This is not new — it mirrors, for example, how the LDS Church helped to champion a Salt Lake City ordinance banning discrimination of gays and lesbians in housing and employment. And it is consistent with how the LDS Church has ministered to members with same-gender attraction."

"In a 2007 article in the LDS Church's Ensign magazine, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland relates a conversation with a self-described gay member of the LDS Church: 'You are first and foremost a son of God, and He loves you. What's more, I love you. My Brethren among the General Authorities love you.'"

Are you listening? "...He loves you.... I love you.... My Brethren among the General Authorities love you."

Activists have taken "a statement out of context, embellish[ed] it with selective interpretation, presume[d] hostile intent, and then use[d] the distortion to isolate an entire group, in this case a church." (Deseret News)

There is no need to state once again the LDS position on the sanctity of marriage, or homosexuality. But there is a blurred line between sin and sinner for many nonmembers, and even members, which has lead to this hostile scrutiny of President Packer. Remember, we do not hate the sinner, but we cannot condone the sin. Let me repeat, we do not hate the sinner, but we cannot condone the sin.

I love my Heavenly Father. I know He has sent living prophets to this earth, to teach us and guide us in these troubled times. I know that through prayer and study of not only the scriptures, but of modern day revelation from our living prophets as well, we can come to know the truth of these things. And I know my Father in Heaven loves each and every one of us perfectly. He is a true embodiment of what it means to truly love another, and He wants us all to return to live with Him again one day so long as we submit to His will and dedicate our lives to His cause.

2 comments:

  1. I could not have said it better Ashley. I hope all is going well for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, you worded this perfectly! It was great to read!

    ReplyDelete