Monday, October 25, 2010

I'm a Giants "fan"

While blow drying my hair, I started thinking about the Giants. How awesome is it that they made it to the World Series?! Since dating and marrying Max, it has been his mission to convert me to baseball. I remember last year when he would get so sad and SO MAD that the Giants weren't doing so well. I didn't understand why he let it affect him so much...I still don't!
This year was the year of my conversion and what a great year to start! Very exciting games; I recognize the players and can put a face to a name (for the most part); I have a crush on Buster Posey; I watched a couple games ALONE without Max there which is saying something for my taking a liking to the sport; I have even clapped for the Giants when they got a run, hit, double, whatever!

And then I started thinking about all the boo-hooers on Facebook. "Where were all these giants 'fans' years ago?" "Look at these Giants 'fans'... everyone loves a winner don't they." "I'm the only REAL Giants fan..." "Since when did people start liking baseball?" 

You get the drift, right?

**NOTE: I warn you, I will be ranting! So stop reading if you don't want to hear it, or keep reading if you want to know what I have to say...

First, what's so wrong with being excited for a sports team when they are doing so well? Especially when they represent N. Cal? Or when you have a husband who is a Giants fanatic and you're simply creating some common ground...

Second, everyone has to start SOMEWHERE when it comes to liking anything, particularly sports teams. And WHY NOT this year when the Giants are doing so great? Yeah, we do like winners. We do like success. It's exciting and gives us hope they can make it even further.

Third, who cares if you've loved them for years and years. I'm sure the Giants' success this year means more to you than us new "fans" but that doesn't mean you can get up on your high horse and look down on all the new kids. You should be HAPPY that your team has so much more support!!! How many times have the Giants expressed gratitude for their fans? (p.s. that means ALL fans, new and old)

Forth, the real test will be if all the new Giants fans will be just as dedicated and supportive NEXT season. A new year, a fresh start, and no one knows how well they will perform then.

Let's go Giants!

No comments:

Post a Comment