Monday, September 19, 2011

Landscaper/Runner

1. I've been employed by my family to do some work. Part of that is landscaping. And that is not an easy job... On the side of my parent's house was this massive hill. I believe it was back filled so it's just a bunch of rock and clay which makes it a work out when digging in it! My mom wanted more function for that space so... we began cutting into it, creating paths and areas for a small garden. It's a work and progress but it's getting there! There's definitely a sense of satisfaction when it's your own sweat going into the project.
 Below is what is left. There were "steps" originally but I began to dig out the top planter box and dumped all the dirt on the side, making it, once again, a hill. I'll post more when I finish :)

2. This past weekend, I ran in a Ragnar race. What is Ragnar you say? It's a relay race, with a team of 12 runners running a combined distance of about 200 miles. Let me give you one piece of advice:
TRAIN.
That was my biggest downfall when I got to my last leg. I tanked big time. It didn't help that I was wearing black, thick spandex pants, nor that I ran in the sun the entire 7.95 miles, nor that it was a NO VAN SUPPORT leg, nor that the Ragnar team even provided water stations until the last mile... No, No, No. 
It. Was. Brutal.
I was a bit stumbly when I came in for the hand-off, but so, so relieved that it was over. My hip and right foot were in pain but I didn't care at that point. I just wanted to sit down in the shade. And I did.

OTHER THAN THAT, it was a great experience. Our van had the most milage out of the 2 vans for our team. We also had the most inconvenient times to run! Which, in my opinion, I'd rather have it that way if I'm going to do a race of this caliber. And what I mean by the most inconvenient times, I mean the hot, afternoon times and the middle of the night times (you know, the times no one typically goes out and runs in anyway). 

The midnight runs were a little sketch for some people. Getting hit on, or creepers following you... I luckily had no such thing happen to me. And I felt fairly safe since I could always see the little blinky lights from the runners ahead of me. 

Cool story. One of our girls was driving the van to go to the next exchange in the middle of the night and she started to turn the car around. We asked what was up and she said it looked like there was a lost runner. We found her and that girl was definitely lost! You could tell she was so grateful that we stopped to get her and help her get back on the right track. The thing is, none of us in the van would have even noticed. I like to say it was the Holy Ghost guiding her to that runner who, I'm sure, was praying she could find her way back.
"Worst Pace Scenario" Van 2
Representing! There were a ton of teams who played off of the wine scheme since we WERE in wine country...
The medals were huge. And I liked it.
I conked out big time when I got home. My body is still sore and my foot still tender, but it kinda feels good to know I pushed my body to the max ;) ha. Thanks, E for sponsoring me!

No comments:

Post a Comment