Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

What a great day to reflect on the role of fathers, especially within our own lives. As I get older, my appreciation for my parents grows and grows. I've been struggling with something this past week, and I had talked with both my parents for guidance. My dad, though, asked me if I wanted a Father's Blessing before he left on his trip for work. I had forgotten about this wonderful gift, this wonderful blessing made available through the power of the Melchizedek Priesthood, but my dad had not. He knew of this power, and was exercising it by giving me that offer. Of course, I answered yes. 
He placed his hands on my head, and every time he has ever done this while giving me a Father's Blessing, I instantly feel safe, I feel loved, I feel the power of the priesthood. While listening to him give the blessing, I knew that I believed every word he spoke. I knew he spoke with love and genuine sincerity, having faith in the Lord and in me. I had forgotten this gift. Thank you dad for reminding me, and thank you for ever having that ability to give me that precious blessing.

I am so blessed to have my dad in my life. He loves me, worries about me, cares about me. He gives me strength through spoken words and loving actions. He has brought me blessings of the Priesthood, Karate, Motorcycles and Dirt Bikes, Boating, Fishing, Shooting; He loves keeping a surprise a surprise; He loves teaching Karate and giving his superior knowledge of it to others, watching them utilize that knowledge and progressing; He works hard for his family, those living and those deceased through Genealogy and Temple Work; He missed the after-photos at my Endowment because he was taking in the quiet, Spirit of the Celestial Room in the Temple (this is a good thing, trust me)...I even missed the photos because I wanted him to be there and I was waiting for him, I love my daddy! He plays with the grandchildren, running around the house and having a ball, exhausted but happy. He'll even pitch tents in the living room and make a "cave" for the kiddos to sleep in when they spend the night. He loves making slideshows and videos of memories of special trips and occasions. He rides a Harley in full get-up gear, while listening to 96.1, ha. He writes everything on his calender on his computer. He loves going to the gym, lifting insane amounts of weight, and documenting it. The garage is his is domain, and he'll purge anything if there is no claim on it! 

I am so lucky to have the best dad ever. Naturally ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment