Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"Wait, are you serious?"



That was my response when Dr. Pikul called "Ashley Garrett" during the lottery this morning for the Human Anatomy class. I couldn't believe my ears. 

I went to a class last night and didn't get picked. I skipped the second section that evening because I was already home and I doubted I would have gotten picked...plus The Bachelor was on. HA. 

This morning, there were 3 sections which meant 3 chances to be picked out of the lottery. I left, thinking I had plenty of time for the 9:30 class. I got to campus in time, but due to the HORRENDOUS traffic and parking, I was late and knew I couldn't just waltz into the classroom 5 minutes after and expect him to have not already started the lottery, let alone let me add my name to the list after being tardy.

So, I waited an hour and a half for the next section. Just chillin' in my car. Time came and I started for the classroom. As I approached the building, I realized I locked my keys in the car. GREAT. I came all this way, and I probably won't get picked.  Not to mention, this is the 3rd or 4th time I've locked the keys in the car and it's such a hassle! I called my dad really quick to ask him for a really, really big favor. I told him I'd call him back after calling the apartment complex about letting him into my apartment to get the spare key. All the meanwhile, I'm getting my name added to the list of 60 other names. I wait for the lottery before stepping out to call the Apt. complex. 4 spots. 4 chances. 60 names. Crap. 

At this point, I'm already zoning out. Going through the motions type attitude, thinking "Get it over with so I can get my dad on his way to come pick me up!" 4 numbers are drawn. First name: "Ashley Garrett."

Say what?! 

I was so shocked, students had a good chuckle at my astonishment. All the sudden, locking my keys in the car wasn't looking so bad :) I did not think I'd be in school this semester. Glad I was wrong!

I had been praying lately about what I'm supposed to be doing with my life. I know my calling in life is to be a mother. There is no doubt about it and it's all I think about and dream about. But I knew I needed to provide a way for myself to earn a living should Max ever leave this life unexpectedly. Read this story to see where this realization hit harder than it has before.

And let's face it, it feels good knowing I can have a job that's really worth it. Can't say that being a cashier at a grocery or retail store is life changing, you know?

Back to prayers... I needed help. Help push me in any direction that I should really pursue. You get a little lost when you're feeling down and I needed reassurance. The fact that I was the first name pulled, with all the odds against me, was an answer to my prayer and an act of God nudging me in the direction I should keep pursuing. I am feeling pretty grateful and I know it's because of Heavenly Father that I'm in this class right now. 

All good things come from God.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on being picked! Your lucky day. The story you linked to... I. am. bawling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video just gets to you. Especially when she says she wishes Jared were there. I love the music too. I can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete