Monday, August 23, 2010

My Savior

Last night I attended the special fireside with President Wood as the guest speaker. I'm so glad I was there because the Spirit made itself manifest to me in a very powerful way. 


There was a special musical number of "A Poor Wayfaring Man" and it was absolutely beautiful. I thank the woman who sang it and really owned the words of the song, you could tell she believed every word and that she was singing for her Savior. Tears flooded my face as she sang the last few verses with such conviction: 


"Stripped, wounded, beaten nigh to death,
I found him by the highway side.
I roused his pulse, brought back his breath,
Revived his spirit, and supplied
Wine, oil, refreshment—he was healed.
I had myself a wound concealed,
But from that hour forgot the smart,
And peace bound up my broken heart.

In pris’n I saw him next, condemned
To meet a traitor’s doom at morn.
The tide of lying tongues I stemmed,
And honored him ’mid shame and scorn.
My friendship’s utmost zeal to try,
He asked if I for him would die.
The flesh was weak; my blood ran chill,
But my free spirit cried, “I will!”


Then in a moment to my view
The stranger started from disguise.
The tokens in His hands I knew;
The Savior stood before mine eyes.
He spake, and my poor name He named,
'Of Me thou hast not been ashamed.
These deeds shall thy memorial be;
Fear not, thou didst them unto Me.'"


There is just one other moment I'd like to share with you that touched my heart in a way that it yearned for. President Wood told a story of how he had been with his daughter one day, talking about life in the car. As he was talking with her, he began to say he was sorry that he had missed her open house and she replied, "Dad, there's not one thing you could do that would make me stop loving you." What a sweet moment. President Wood continued to say that the Savior loves us with a perfect love and that there is not one thing that could make him stop loving us. Within me, as I listened to this, a warming sensation filled my body and I knew that he was speaking a beautiful truth to me. I needed this confirmation, to know of my Savior's love for me. I wavered on this truth just not too long ago. I questioned how the Savior could possibly keep loving me time after time of messing up and making mistakes. It was disheartening and I was scared for my soul, for my life. Then last night, I had that special confirmation that the Savior in fact does love me perfectly. 

May you all know how much you are loved and held precious to our Savior and to our Heavenly Father. We may not understand it, but if we can feel their love, as I did, then we know we will be taken care of so long as we allow their Spirits to work within ourselves and within our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment