Thursday, May 24, 2012

DIY Cake Plate(s)


I love cake plates. I see them at HomeGoods and think, "Oh, I have to have that!" Luckily, I have this habit of walking around the entire store holding the one thing I picked up... You know, to let it marinate in the brain a little bit before heading to the front of the store. I almost ALWAYs end up putting that object back on the shelf.

Well...

I was at Walmart today and found these candle stands. I immediately thought "ooooh, cake plate!"


It's true.

So I bought 1, 2, 3, 4 of 'em! I was only going to make two cake plates and use the others for actual candles when I walked into HomeGoods to find two plates and...

ended up finding 4 plates! They were just so pretty and lovely and sooooo Ashley.




Next stop. Michael's to find that super duper strong glue. I found the tube, whipped out my phone with the Michael's app coupon pulled up and got it for a discount (around $2). Score.



Deciding which plate to go on which candle stand took 5 minutes because of the varying heights of the candle holders. The whole which plate looks best with which height dilemma. Typical right?


 Next, get the glue ready.


Clean off plates and candle holders. Turn plates upside down. Apply thin strip of glue along the edges of the candle holder and press into the center of the plate. I went along the edges in various spots where the candle and plate met to give it extra support. Let sit for 24-72 hours before using.


Wallah!




Daring, are we?
I've seen people do this project for VERY little money (we're talking Dollar Store ball court). Meaning, they will have the smaller, candle holders that fit the tall single candles (ya feel me?) and buy plates from the Dollar store. TOTALLY awesome, but... I loved these candle holders from Walmart because they seemed more sturdy and I liked the design. I also wanted really adorable, cute plates which I knew HomeGoods had for around $2.99-$3.99 per.

Whole project was under $30. And we all know cake plates can go for almost $15-20 per, especially if they are big ones like the two big plated ones I have. Each of my cake plates would come to about $7 each. I just love mine! And the colors go perfectly with my color scheme in my humble abode :) Now, I know that if I ever want a cake plate... I will ALWAYS remember I could make one for a fraction of the price. Hmmm.. blessing or curse? haha

4 comments:

  1. What a brilliant and fantastic thing to make...very useful as a homemade gift too!
    May have to do this myself...thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your cake stands! They are so fun to make aren't they? I've been making all kinds of them for a while to and would like to offer another option on the glue (I've tried them all) Home Depot or similiar stores carry a DAP brand that I find has worked the best. It is still clear silicone but used for aquariums and is totally food safe as well. Just thought I'd share. Keep creating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie Hampton WhiteApril 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM

    Love the colors. Glue has been issue for some of my projects. I will try the Michael's glue and your Susan's suggestion also. Thanks girls.

    ReplyDelete