Sunday, May 6, 2012

DIY Baby Swing Seat Cover

I have no need to do this project. There's no baby in me yet. But... I love creating and recreating. This baby swing belonged to my sister and it made it through her 4 kids. Well, 3.5 since O didn't get to use it as much as the others! One day, we will have use of this swing and I probably won't have the time to sit down and sew it from start to finish in a day like I did this time!

BEFORE:

1. Pick your fabrics. I used 3 quarter sized polka dot fabrics and 1 quarter size of the bird fabric.
2. Take the seat apart! Save for templates.
3. Match seat to fabric (fabric facing outwards of course); and pin

4. Sew the decorative parts of the seats first using the original sew lines on the underside of the cushion.
5. Then sew around the perimeter of each cushion
6. Sew cushions back together
7. Use the original flappy parts (above and below the cushions) as templates to cut out new ones with your new fabric. Sew to the top and bottom of the cushion
Why do photos make the polka dots look CRAZY?! My eyes are trippin! 
At this point, I decided to work on the little toy thinger mahjigger (I don't know what it's called so that will have to do)

7. Cut strips and sew together. Eye ball how wide you need them to be to fit around the toy thinger mahjigger
8. Iron the edges in.
9. Sew velcro to some ribbon to create the tabs. (P.S. I had Max choose the color of ribbon. Gotta make sure he knows his opinion matters to me! haha) Attach ribbon to your strips of fabric. Make sure it will be where you want on the toy thinger mahjigger. I used the old one as a template for how far apart.
10. I had to handsew the fabric around the toy thinger mahjigger because it wouldn't come apart for me. So sit and watch part of a movie for this :)


11. Cut more strips for the binding. Mine were 2 in wide I believe...
12. Iron one edge in about half an inch. The other side will just be directly sewn on with your machine
13. Pin the binding all around the seat
14. Sew the one edge of the binding all around the perimeter of the seat. About 1/2 in seam or so. You can test how big the seam should be by folding the binding over and making sure the edges match on either side.
15. After sewing one edge to the seat, fold the binding over to the back side and pin it down all around. That rhymed.
16. Hand sew all around the perimeter. Sit and watch the other part of the movie you started for this part. :)

I had to use my receiving blanket for my "pin cushion" because well... I left my REAL one all the way over by the... couch. And who has time to get up and get it when you're determined to get this project done!? Obviously, I did not have the time :)

AFTER:
17. Return back to the swing and try it on for size!
18. Put a baby doll (or your actual baby for all you moms out there) in it and marvel at your work.
19. Then get your mom and get praise :)
I even added a little receiving blanket I made the other day to it. I'm such a goober.
NEXT: I'm going to sew little plush toys for the top to complete the look. I'm excited.. :)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recovered my swing (just like that!) for when I someday get pregnant again! Too cute.

    ReplyDelete