Saturday, May 28, 2011

Gospel Doctrine

Well, Max and I have been called to teach the 17 year olds. Last week was our first week and we were not so prepared with the lesson. Luckily, the Gospel Doctrine manual is very well planned out like the Primary manual, so we were able to skim by for the hour.

Now, if you don't know, I like to be very prepared. I like to plan out lessons and know what I'm talking about. I don't like to come across like I don't know things whether it's Gospel related or not. I want the kids to know that I care about the Savior and what He had to say. I want them to see what I see when I really get to study the material; I want their testimonies to grow. I promised the 17 year olds, a whopping 3 of 'em, that we would be MUCH more prepared come this Sunday. Well, when I say we, I mean me. Max is still a skimmer.

Before receiving this calling, I had been asking myself, "What's it going to take for me to really study the scriptures?" "What's it going to take for me to diligently pick up my books and really read the messages and not just the words on the page?" I knew I had the right intentions, the right desires... I was just failing on the action part. It's kind of like when you plan to go to the Temple at least once a month and somehow 30 days seems to go by really fast without you ever stepping foot inside the doors (When I say you, I mean me).

"Faith without works is dead"

Boy, is that statement true and I have felt the consequences of not doing the work. It's something kind of special to recognize that there is a difference between really putting forth the physical, emotional, and spiritual effort opposed to just doing the physical part--the "going through the motions" side of it all.

I was listening to my mom today talk about her lesson preparations and her thoughts (she teaches the adult gospel doctrine class) and as I was watching her, I could see her pure love of the Savior and of the Gospel. She talked about Him as though they were the closest of friends. She talked of the scriptures with passion, tearing up as she testified to Max and me what she knows is true. There is a light in her countenance and I thirst for the same. 

If I'm thirsting, I must be in need of replenishment and I know this calling has been the answer to my prayers. To just skim the lesson, as I did last week, will not increase my faith. Heavenly Father gave me the opportunity to increase my faith and testimony and now I must act on it. I know Heavenly Father knows me. He loves me. He wants me to find joy in this life and it's through my Savior that I can. I'm so blessed to know Him as I do and I'm so blessed to get to know Him ever more as I magnify my calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment