Saturday, October 9, 2010

Recent Reads

Well, I finished this book. It was ok. Nothing that left me thinking, "WOW, now that is a great book!" The ending was not what I expected; it was weak; it did have a sense of hope, but after all that had happened with the Earth, I couldn't imagine conditions ever getting better... I mean the moon isn't just going to move back to where it was. I just didn't believe the author. I want to be convinced and captivated by the author. I wasn't sold on it.

I did, however, think about what life would be like if those circumstances were upon us. How sad it would be; scary even. So, it did get me thinking outside of the novel...which I guess is pretty cool. I was irritated with the main character a lot which means the novel sparked emotion from me. I love when a novel can do that because it means I was at least IN the story.


Cirque Du Freak: A Living Nightmare is a...weak story. Quickly thrown together, there's a lack of detail and character development. Darren Shan, the main character, goes to a freak show. There his facination with a special spider leads to theft, lies, near death of his friend, and don't forget he becomes a VAMPIRE. The only part that was detailed and could create a visual in my mind was what he did to leave his mortal life behind and join Mr. Crepsley. **NOTE: I only read this because I saw a quote from J.K. Rowling herself (Harry Potter) saying how great the book was.

The way this book was written is definitely for young people (Though I know HP and Twilight could probably be put in that category...actually no, EVERYONE LOVED those series...) and it showed. I wasn't intrigued; I only finished it because I hate putting a book away once I've started it. 

WHAT'S NEXT?
Recommended by Meghan Getz. I'm excited! The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is still out at the library and I'm still on the waiting list... Until then, I'm happy I have a book to keep me busy! Keep those recommendations coming!

1 comment:

  1. I have the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on my list too! Keep the good ideas coming for books to read, cause it seems like we have similar taste!

    ReplyDelete